Time spent amongst trees, is never time wasted.
It has been more than 135 years since J. Sterling Morton founded Arbor Day, and his simple idea of setting aside a special day for tree planting and observance is now more important than ever. Here are 10 ways to celebrate the best tree planting holiday ever.
1. Read a book about trees: Spruce up your regular reads by challenging yourself to learn about the trees in your yard. Our What Tree is That is a good place to start.
2. Sponsor a Craft Show: Organize a craft show that features exhibitors who work with crafts in natural materials like woodcarving, pottery, dried flower arrangements, cornhusk dolls, pinecone wreaths and pressed flowers.
3. Have an Arbor Day Picnic: Go to a park and relish in the marvels of nature, but not without some fruits and nuts from trees, stop by a community orchard.
No Shade tree? Blame not the sun but yourself.
4. Organize a Tree Identification Hike: It’s time to put names to all the trees you pass on your daily commute or morning jog. Ask your city forester to guide you on a tree hike identifying trees, whether it’s a walk through the neighborhood or a stroll through a park, it’s a great way to become acquainted with your community trees.
5. Host an Arbor Day Dinner: Cook a meal with locally produced foods. When you’re done eating have a movie night with one of these trees in film.
6. Join a Photo Contest: This year marks the 40th year anniversary of Tree City USA. We’re so pumped that we’re giving away a GoPro to one lucky winner of the Tree City USA 40th Anniversary Photo Contest. Tag us in a photo of a scenic view, Tree City celebration or your community’s Tree City USA certification sign using #TreeCityUSA40. Winner will be selected on National Arbor Day April 29.
7. Hold an Arbor Day Block Party: Few things are more exciting than a block party celebrating Arbor Day. Tree seedlings and buttons are fun giveaways to ramp up the excitement. But what party is complete without this treemendous playlist featuring songs about trees.
8. Go on a Tree Hunt: Look for the biggest tree and oldest tree in your city, learn the history of it and tag us in a photo on Instagram: @arbordayfoundation
“The clearest way into the universe is through a forest wilderness.” John Muir
9. Play Tree Trivia: For the tree enthusiasts who celebrate trees all year round, test your tree knowledge with fellow tree lovers. How well do you really know how to spell the scientific name of a dawn redwood?
Answer: Metasequoia glyptostroboides
10. Plant a Tree: For the love of Arbor Day and all things green, go out and plant a tree! But first, check out the Right Tree in the Right Place to ensure that your tree thrives for many Arbor Days to come.
The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is now.
How are you celebrating Arbor Day this year? Tag us in photos of your Arbor Day fun!