As the Jewish New Year (Rosh Ha Shanna) approaches on October third, millions of American’s will be dipping apples in honey— a tradition that evokes a sweet new year. Working for the Arbor Day Foundation I am lucky. I can visit Arbor Day Farm in Nebraska City and pick bushels of apples to give to family and friends during this season.
As a father of a young child (19 months), I was less than thrilled at the thought of my toddler running around my house with honey from the apples dripping everywhere. So we came to a compromise on how best to honor the tradition yet keep the sticky mess to a minimum – a Honey Apple Cake.
The cake recipe below is an easy and wonderful way to use fall fruit that may be harvested from your trees. Whether or not you celebrate Rosh Ha Shanna, this cake is sure to be a huge hit. We’ve already baked our third cake and the holiday doesn’t start until sundown on Sunday. (Don’t judge our lack of self-control regarding baked goods in our home.)
Cinnamon-Apple Honey Cake
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD: 4 servings
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced peeled tart apple
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1. Line a 6-in. round baking pan with parchment paper; coat paper with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Arrange apple slices in a single layer over cinnamon.
- 2. In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg. Add milk and vanilla; beat on low speed until blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and remaining cinnamon; stir into creamed mixture just until blended. Spoon over apple.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Invert immediately onto a serving plate; drizzle with honey. Serve warm if desired. Makes 4 servings.
What fall fruit desserts are you baking this season? Let us know below!